Speaking and Workshops
Over the past several years, I have given many talks and workshops to introduce entrepreneurs to ideas that will help them transition from startup to scaleup.
These are designed to be as short as 30 minutes or as long as several days. They focus on the three things that technology entrepreneurs must get good at; developing a strong market fit, raising capital, and developing leadership skills. Workbooks are available to guide participants through the development of skills and can be used in class or outside of it.
From Startup to Scaleup
Commentators have long criticized Canada’s inability to scale high-tech companies to world-class size. Although Canada has created an ecosystem that produces many startups, few of these companies grow to become Unicorns. Certainly, we have had world-leading companies such as Blackberry and Open Text, and more recently Unicorns such as HootSuite and Kik Interactive. But most of our successful startups are sold before they reach world-class size. Overcoming this growth hurdle is crucial to positioning Canadian companies favourably in global markets.
This speech or workshop focusses on recent research and shows technology entrepreneurs how they can think differently about their markets, financing their growth ,and developing their team. It shows the difference between what Unicorns are doing and what Canadian firms typically do
Triggers and Barriers
Technology entrepreneurs need to understand the potential market reaction to their innovative new product or service. This workshop helps them understand the market triggers, barriers and competitive forces so that they can assess the market potential for innovation. This workshop presents a framework for market analysis that goes to the heart of buyer behaviour.
- The workshop introduces methodologies for buyer Research that help innovators understand the Triggers that will cause a prospective buyer to seek a solution to his or her problem.
- Innovators will learn how to use Design Thinking to figure out what Barriers will get in the way of the acceptance of their innovation on the marketplace.
- Participants will learn to analyze Competitive Differentiation to better understand the competitive forces that their product or service launch will face.
- Finally, they will use a framework to create a Value Proposition that incorporates these market forces..
Connecting Strategy with Action
The purpose of this speech or workshop is to improve a manager’s ability to execute strategy. I help managers in high growth technology companies understand the process of leadership so that their employees know what is expected of them, how they are doing, and how they can improve. This is how a managers connects an employee’s work with the company’s strategy.
- Managers learn to create effective Metrics to enable employees to understand how their job fits into the strategy of the company and what they have to do to enable the company to meet its strategic objectives.
- Through metrics a manager improve the employee’s Job description and become more effective at Delegation thus enabling an employee to better understand what they have to do to be successful.
- Metrics also improve Performance Management and Communication so an employee knows how they are doing.
- Finally, managers learn to use metrics as a foundation for Coaching employees and improving their Motivation.