While I’m technically a serial entrepreneur, I’m too interested in the next big thing to focus long enough to make something really big. I love the startup phase but I’m really more interested in research and analysis than I am in creating products and don’t care very much about making money.
I have an MBA in marketing and was trained as a Chartered Accountant and a banker (although why I became a CA or a banker is beyond me as they weren’t good fits for me.).
I spent 15 years as co founder and CEO of Synamics, a telecommunications software firm that provided mass calling platforms to telcos. Since then I’ve co-founded two other technology companies and been an officer, director or investor in a dozen others. I’ve also provided financing, consulting and coaching services to several dozen other firms and provided training to thousands.
I spent four years at MaRS ending as CFO. For most of my time at MaRS I was heading up a group of former entrepreneurs and specialists who developed thought leadership, provided education, mentorship, market intelligence and capital to over 2,000 technology startups in Ontario. That’s where I spent considerable time developing digital media and content and the idea for Material Minds was born.
Among several other jobs in management consulting and investment banking, I spent seven years on the faculty of York’s Schulich School of Business. I’m now spending a lot of time at the University of Toronto where I’m a Senior Fellow at the Impact Centre doing research on innovation and entrepreneurship. I also teach an undergraduate course in the Faculty of Arts and Science and a course in Strategy Execution for the School of Continuing Studies.
- cplant (at) materialminds.com
These are the technology related businesses I’ve been directly involved with as an officer or director, successes, warts, failures and all. In fact I learned lots more from the failures that I did from the successes. The great thing is that I keep on making new mistakes all the time and learning from them.This list doesn’t include all of the ones I’ve consulted to as I don’t want to put you to sleep from boredom.
- Synamics – Telecommunications software developer sold to Beacon Live – CoFounder, CEO
- Apreste Media – Digital Media Content Developer failed due to partnership issues – CoFounder, Chairman
- Mercanix – Software developer going strong – Chairman
- The Impact Centre at U of T – Campus Linked Accelerator – Senior Fellow
- Veloxsites – Digital media software going strong – CFO
- MaRS Discovery District – Innovation Hub – Managing Director and CFO
- Investment Accelerator Fund – Seed Capital Fund still investing- CFO
- MaRS Innovation – Seed Capital Fund still investing – CFO
- Cogniciti – Software company still in business – CFO
- Q1 Capital Partners – Technology Investment Banking still going strong – Managing Director
- Karabus Management – Telecommunications Consultancy sold to PWC- Managing Director
- Kubas Consultants – Media Consultancy sold – Managing Director
- Opalis – Software company sold to Microsoft- CFO
- Futurecom – Telecom hardware still going strong- CFO
- Powlesland Engineering – Engineering firm – Controller
- Dionix Greentree Technologies – Software company went public- Controller